- From your Shopify admin, click Settings, then click Payments (or press
- In the Shopify Payments section, click Edit:
- Check Use test mode:
Shopify Payments will show a black and yellow striped band, indicating that you've activated test mode:
To simulate a successful transaction, use the following information when you are asked for credit card details during checkout:
- Name on card: Enter at least two words.
- Expiry date: Enter any date in the future.
- CVV: Enter any three digits.
- Card number: Use the following numbers:
Simulate failed transactions
If you want to see the credit card error messages that might be displayed to a customer during checkout, you can simulate a number of different failed transactions:
- Use credit card number 4000000000000002 to generate a card declined message.
- Use credit card number 4242424242424241 to generate an incorrect number message.
- Use credit card number 4000000000000259 to simulate a disputed transaction.
- Use an invalid expiry month, for example 13, to generate an invalid expiry month message.
- Use an expiry year in the past to generate an invalid expiry year message.
- Use a two-digit CVV number to generate an invalid CVV message.
Note: You'll have to deactivate test mode in order for customers to pay for their order using a credit card.